Wednesday 6 January 2016

Oriental Teahouse (Chadstone)



Oriental Teahouse has become my "I'm hungry and I don't know where to eat" place. It is divided into two sections - the retail area which sells a wide variety of teas and the restaurant. I also noticed a table outside offering iced tea to shoppers passing by for $3.50 which relies on the honesty policy.


My friend and I sat down with our menus and instantly decided that we needed to get the sweet shredded steak. This dish has become a staple of mine when visiting Oriental Teahouse.

Sweet Shredded Steak ($15.80)
The beef was slightly crispy and generously covered in a sauce which had a perfect sweet/sour balance. This is definitely a must-try.

Crackling Roast Pork ($13.80)
The crackling roast pork is another staple dish of mine, but I have found that the quality tends to vary depending on the location/time. Today, the pork meat was tender and had a good amount of sauce accompanying it. However, the crackling was not as crispy as I would have liked it to be.

Chicken Feet ($6.80)
 With chicken feet being my favourite part of yum cha, I decided to give Oriental Teahouse's rendition of it a try. The chicken feet was advertised as a dish with three pieces, but lucky for me I had an extra one in my serving, which I was definitely not complaining about. They were a good size, tender and had a nice flavour.

Prawn Hash Browns ($8.80)
We also ordered the prawn hash browns, which put simply were just giant dumplings that were fried. They were nice as well though.

To accompany our dishes we ordered some plain jane white rice, which we didn't get a photo of because apparently it's not worthy of a photo according to their menu. 

Oriental Teahouse is a great place for a quick meal, especially if you're in need of a feed before/after a long shopping spree. While many of the offerings steer away from traditional/authentic Chinese cuisine, they are still pleasant. The only downfall in my opinion is the serving sizes, which could be upped especially considering the price.

I've previously also attended one of their all you can eat yum cha nights (at the Little Collins store), which again steers away from traditional yum cha sittings. Regardless, I still left contently in a food coma. For $30 I'd say it's definitely worth a try.

Ratings:
Food - 8/10
Service - 8/10
Price - 7/10

Oriental Teahouse
1341 Dandenong Road
Malvern East, VIC
3145, Australia
 
Oriental Teahouse Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment